is situated in the small village of Litton, a village of a few hundred people, with a shop and a pub. At the heart of Litton is the green with its old stocks. The village developed from farming and lead mining and Litton Mill, down in the nearby Millers Dale, was an early cotton mill. In 1086 the village was mentioned in the Domesday book as Litun. William Peverell was the owner the Manor at that time and it is believed that the property now called ‘Hall Farm House’ stands on the site of the original manor house. Later, the house passed to the Lytton family, who took their name from the village.
Fifteen minutes’ walk away is the large village of Tideswell, which has more of everything, as well as a beautiful medieval church known locally as ‘The Cathedral of the Peak’.
Litton is situated in the limestone White Peak, with a wide choice of walks literally on the doorstep. Cressbrook Dale, for example, can be reached in ten minutes (five for children). To see its flowers at their best, visit in May or June, but it is unmissable at any time of year.
The gritstone Dark Peak is also only a short car drive away. Castleton and Mam Tor offer a different and wilder scenery.